Saturday, 28 March 2015
BROOKMERE ROUNDHOUSES, I & II
From the same post, here is a close up of the station ground plan. Note that there are engine tracks either side of the enginehouse itself. These changed somewhat over the years according to local needs. Sometime in diesel days, they were removed. There is a cinder pit thirty feet long on the north engine lead and a depressed track for loading the cinders into gondolas. The bunkhouse to the east was an old car body assigned to house the watchmen and wipers. Somewhat less than a one star hotel. The engineman's bunkhouse was hardly better though it had a water supply and a telephone. At least they had a privy unlike the watchmen on the lower end of the scale. There are some dimensions given on the plan and the turntable is 70 feet long. From these the size of the enginehouse could be reasonably estimated. Note the telephone wires that run to the building from a junction near the Station. At some point, an office for the locomotive foremen was fitted into the rear of the station. Later on the foreman's office was moved to the new bunkhouse which was built in 1945.
Here is another shot provided by the Okanagan Archive Trust Society also published previously in the same post. This shows the side of the enginehouse with the tall windows and tall smoke stacks.
The building was 90 feet long and each of the four rear walls was 27 feet wide. The front walls were 26 feet high and the rear walls were 19 feet high. In the upper part of the first drawing are seen the posts and girders that were erected between the stalls. Note the size and spacing of the "purlins" (roof joists). The size increases as the span increases from front to rear while the spacing decreases. To the purlins were affixed a roof of 2" x 3" 's on edge. These members were nailed hard to each other so that the roof was solid wood, 3" thick. It should be noted that solid wood is actually an effective fire resistant component; i e, it takes fire a long time to burn through. This was a common practice in construction of the time. Even up to the 1960's, fire walls in wood-frame apartment buildings were constructed in the same manner, but usually of 2" x 4" 's and sometimes 2" x 6" 's. The roof membrane is specified as Tar and Gravel although we cannot confirm its actual use. In the lower part of this first page, the faint outline of the original enginehouse from 1916 can be discerned.
Here is a drawing of a smoke jack that predated the one shown in page 1. It differs principally in not having tapered sides but this drawing is included here to help with dimensions and to illustrate the methods of construction and installation. This item would be built up of solid 2" x 2" lumber in the various sections shown on the right side of the drawing.
Our final drawing is from another source and shows all the detail for "standard" enginehouse doors. It is dated 1945 and would probably be correct for this enginehouse. Placement of the "wicket door" (man-door) might vary with the local situation. The glazed door was not an option to be found on the Brookmere roundhouse.
This is the roundhouse that was destroyed in the boiler explosion in March, 1949. A distant shot of it can be seen in Turner's book on page 60, the middle photo. There is a photo of the damaged roundhouse in Joe Smuin's other book, Canadian Pacific's Kettle Valley Railway, published by BRMNA, p. 28. On page 29 is seen the third enginehouse.
Next week we will continue with a drawing and photos of the third roundhouse for Brookmere. It is similar in many of the details to the one presented here although slightly longer at 100 feet. And perhaps our model will be ready for presentation. We have been busy with building it and then a trip to the Bayrails Operations meet in San Francisco. So, we have been a little short on time for the blog.